Function: Marine Navigation and Charting
Navimatics has been around for years providing quality celestial, aeronautical and marine charts for navigation. The Charts & Tides program for the iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch is claimed by Navimatics to be the first full resolution, seamless charting program for marine navigation. With the purchase of Charts & Tides you can run the software on both your iPhone and iPad for one inclusive price.
Like all iPhone and iPad charting applications Charts & Tides should be considered as a backup to your onboard navigation system.
Navimatics offers four different coverage regions depending on your use and location. It offers East Coast, West Coast, Gulf Coast and Great Lakes.
- Supports standard NOAA vector charts.
- All chart data is provided in the app and automatically updated to ensure the most recent version.
- A true heads-up display instantly rotates your chart as your boat turns, including text.
- The app has chart quilting which seamlessly displays the next chart as you move.
- The full ActiveCaptain database is provided in the app for offline use.
- Fully synchronize the offline POI database with the ActiveCaptain server when you have an Internet connection so you can have the latest information.
- Built-in search mode for finding any location, marina, bridge or other navigation items quickly.
- 3D Bathymetry view for a different perspective of your navigation surroundings.
- Plus integrated tides/currents, weather, sun/moon calendar and much more.
What I found unique about the Navimatics app is that is has the entire ActiveCaptain database downloaded in this app. The database literally contains thousands of marinas, anchorages, hazards, bridges, boat ramps and other points of interest. The ActiveCaptain website can also be utilized when an Internet connection is available. Having access to so much information in the ActiveCaptain database is a plus and it is what sets this app apart from any other charting app.
The app uses the NOAA ENC charts, bathymetric and topographical charts. The app also provides tidal data for realtime current computation. The app allows the user to use it on the iPhone or the iPad with one purchase. No need to purchase two apps.
The NOAA ENC charts are free and can be downloaded from NOAA. The author has simply put together this free information and provided it in an easy to use manner. The ActiveCaptain data can also be accessed for free at their website http://www.activecaptain.com/. If you think it is work the $25.00 to have it on your iPhone or iPad it is available through Navimatics.